Stephen Atkins wrote:

Nick wrote:

On 22/09/05, Lee Koloszyc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello all,

I am having a problem with mythtv 0.18.1 on Gentoo kernel 2.6.12-r10 on
both livetv and playing pre-recorded videos.
The play back is supper choppy and pauses about every 2 seconds.
Playing the same file directly through mplayer or gmplayer and it runs
as smooth as butter.
The recording works fine though even while recompiling X in the background. I am running on a somewhat slow system: P3 800, VT6x4 mother board, 512M
ram, Radeon 9250 256mb, PVR150, SBLive.
I am using the ATI binary drivers 8.16.20.
I also had the same problem with an Nvidia FX5200 card in the system,
but had to return the card because of less then desirable svideo output.

I've got the same problem with a PVR250 (not mce). I've noticed in my myth logs that my system is trying to load the vidia sync but I don't know how to get it to stop trying. Doing some searching on the net it seems the problem could be the OpenGL vsync option when compiling with Gentoo emerge. I'm currently recompiling with a modified use flags of +xv -opengl mmx sse. I'm also using a ati (radeon 7500) and I double checked my alsa drivers and they are up to date. After this I'm not sure where to go. I originally thought it might be IVTV but as it plays fine in mplayer I'm sure its a Myth/Xorg config problem.

Okay everyone I think the problem has been solved and I didn't need to recompile anything. I don't know if this will work for Lee. I change the video stream type from MPEG2-TS to MPEG2-PS and it started working properly. As MPEG2-TS was the default when I first had things setup I didn't think about changing it. What made me change it was I hit a site that gave some setting to record into DVD/SVCD/VCD with out having to transcode them. I figured I'd give them a try as I didn't think I could screw this thing up any more.

Does someone know of a site that explains the differences between all of these settings and why you would want to use one over another (other than the problems I was having).

Stephen