Martin,

Thanks for the input. Very interesting.

My current system has 4 DVB-S cards, no problems at all with 4
simultaneous recordings. Single P4 2.4Ghz. If you want to keep these
recordings as references copies I'd advice you not to transcode; after
all you do lose quality in the process, and the mpeg2 streams you get
off a DVB card are already in a reasonable format for archiving.

'Reference copies' may be a misleading term to those outside
the broadcasting/archiving world. They're the lowest quality,
intended only for viewing to find material. They're currently
being done on VHS, some on long play - the space saving (and
faster fetching from tape library backend) of mpeg4 will
probably be much more valuable than the loss of quality.

Without requirement for CI modules I'd probably stick with the terratec
cards; small, don't run too hot and no problems so far.

'scuse my ignorance - what's a CI module?

Also, the dvb mpeg2 recordings can contain multiple audio streams

Probably not a problem for us, since I'm not aware of any multiple
streams in anything that we record. I'll ask.

Thank you, that was really informative.

--
Illtud Daniel                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Uwch Ddadansoddwr Systemau                       Senior Systems Analyst