Bad form to reply to my own message, but for anyone else who seems to encounter this problem:

There is a program that comes with xawtv-3.xx called v4lctl where you can manaully unmute the TV tuner card's volume control with the following command:

v4lctl volume mute off

I just put it into a cron job to run every 5 minutes.  Unforunately, it has a habit of making the audio drop out for 0.5 sec in the recordings, so I didn't want to run it any more frequently than that.  I'm looking for a way to run it everytime MythTV starts a new recording.