"Without the firewire connection am I correct in assuming that there
is no way to capture HD encrypted content like HD Espn, HD TNT, HD
Discovery, etc? Is this a blanket problem or are there ways around it?"

The problem isn't encryption, as HD content over component output isn't encrypted, the problem is simply a technical one.  An uncompressed HD signal contains far more data than today's PC's can handle in software, and nobody makes a consumer priced encoder chip.

For a crude idea of what is going on, my 1ghz PIII can barely keep up with encoding NTSC content.   A 720p stream contains almost 8 times as mush data as a 480i signal.