Yup Paul, you nailed it on the head.  I traced it all the way back to where the cdrecord command gets called from the code.  Then I tried runnning is as they do (and as you quoted).   And of course it paused.  I got it working by adjusting my /etc/default/cdrecord file and now it starts up flawlessly.  Thank you for your help, even though I didn't listen to it well enough. :)

-Greg

I had problems with cdrecord --scanbus on my system, took a good 15 seconds to complete, I think mythmusic uses this on startup.

Try running 'cdrecord --scanbus' from the console to see how long it takes.