I posted about this problem a few days ago, but now have more info.

I have, for example, a recorded show that at certain points, while playing it in mythfrontend, it cause myth to crash with a segmentation fault. This same file plays OK in Kaffeine.

Now I have discovered that if I ask myth to transcode it (to mpeg4) the transcode process starts, I see the tmp file start to be created, but when I check back later the log says the transcode process errored, and the tmp file is gone (the original file is the original size).

So, do transcode and the playback software share some common fault, that they do not gracefully handle video with certain content? (it's mpeg2 straight from a DVB card, TS mode, btw)