As to the etymology of the word, don't laugh... but I had always thought I had invented it myself. :) Or rather, my daughter.

Seriously, though, I had never heard it used before I started saying it. Many years ago when my youngest daughter was around 2 years old and still trying to master this whole "talking" thing, she would say something "bork" instead of "broke." My wife and I thought it was cute so we started saying it too (I know, I know: way to reinforce a bad habit) and I've said it ever since. A few years back I heard/read somebody else use it and thought "Hey! That's my daughter's word!" :)

And yes, my daughter is all grown up now and says "broke" like she's supposed to. However her mom and dad still can't get away from saying "bork." :)

Back on topic, I'll just say that apt-get has become more troublesome lately for me, so I've gone back to yum (still using atrpms.net repositories as well as others) and things seem to be working much better. A few things about yum I don't care for (like its speed, refreshing its pkg lists at every invocation) but it does seem more reliable than apt-get lately. That said, doing a wholesale upgrade to a dedicated system like a Myth box is probably a bad idea unless you understand exactly what is going to be upgraded... and likely "borked."

David