Wow!!  Big improvement for me.  As I posted earlier, my firewire reliability was only around 60% (at best).  Since running these commands I'm batting 100% so far.  It's only been a day, but I've tested it quite a bit and haven't had any "false starts" from either live tv or recordings from firewire.  I also changed from point-to-point to broadcast, and changed the speed from 400 mbps to 100 mbps as suggested.  I doubt these were the reason for the change since I've played with those settings quite a bit before with no improvement in reliability.

Question:  since I have no idea what these plugctl commands really do, I'm wondering if they need to be re-run anytime the machine is rebooted...?

Thanks Curtis for the great find! I know there's quite a few other Firewire users who have the same reliability problems, so I hope they give this a try.