>1. I created a directory called "/var/log/mythtv", and made sure that
>mythtv has write permissions to it, and restarted several times, but
>still there are no logs there.  Sorry if this is a dumb question but:
>where are the mythtv logs supposed to be?

They're wherever you put them in the startup command using the -l option.

For example: /usr/local/bin/mythbackend -d -l /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

>2. live tv is not working ... I get a blank screen for a few seconds
>and it returns to the menu.  This process seems to break the
>connection between the frontend and backend (i.e., If I try to do
>other things after attempting livetv, mythtv informs me that the
>backend is not running or is improperly configured ).   Everything
>else works great.  I've searched for other posts about this, but they
>seem to address much earlier versions of myth or are otherwise
>inapplicable (whole system crashes, for example).

Try to do a brief (1 minute) recording. That seems to have fixed this annoyance for some people: <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/126743>

I think that this was something that cleared up for me after I started using the svn.

--
Mickey Chandler
Chief Operating Whizard