I have also experienced problems using LIRC to send IR signals through the serial port. I believe the reason is LIRC's reliance on the (low priority) RTC interrupt for timing. LIRC toggles a single serial port control line up to 56,000 times per second, to directly turn an LED on/off. If another thread takes control away from LIRC for too long, a pulse gets stretched and the IR device becomes confused.

However, this problem shouldn't affect devices like MyBlaster, because its software uses standard serial I/O to send information to the device. A single IR code consists of just a few bytes of data sent using a slow (compared to LIRC) baud rate of 19,200 bps. The MyBlaster then translates these few bytes into the many IR pulses necessary to control the device.

I'm really surprised, and somewhat disappointed, to hear that even MyBlasters have trouble. I was actually considering buying a MyBlaster or constructing something similar on my own using a microcontroller.

Maybe I'll set up a test to just send serial bytes in a predictable order and see if they get garbled or missed over time while Myth is displaying video.

My setup incudes a 3.0 GHz P4 running on an ASUS motherboard that use the ATI chipset. So none of that matches the original poster.

I am also using a PVR-250 and a PVR-350. There's no secondary video card; I'm using the onboard ATI video.
--
Dan Wilga                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web Administrator                             http://www.mtholyoke.edu