Ryan Steffes wrote:

I thought I had finally gotten this fixed with the kernel option nolapic, but it happened to me again. I am experiencing hard lock ups that seem to be related to high data throughput, but aren't consistent enough for me to track down. When it freezes, only hitting the reset or power button fixes it.

I have an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 motherboard with an AMD Barton 2500+ in it. It has a nforce northbridge. I am passing the kernel "acpi=no noapic nolapic". I'm running 2.6.11-6mdk. I have one PVR 150. I have two hard drives, running LVM to make one video share. I'm running ivtv 0.3.9 What happens is a hard lock up. It generally happens when I'm exercising the ethernet hard.

This exact same thing was happening to me too with my KT6 Delta.

[snip]

Can anyone give any advice on where to go from here?

Sure. The problem is almost certainly to do with interrupt sharing. In my case it was a problem with the ACPI steering assigning too many devices the same IRQ. I ended up fixing it by disabling unnecessary onboard hardware (eg I don't need 8 USB controllers or onboard sound), using acpi=off (is that different to your acpi=no ?) and re-positioning the cards in the PCI slots. I would check your motherboard's manual since some slots will share an interrupt whatever you do. You can also assign specific slots a specific IRQ in the BIOS.

I've also heard that using SBLive cards can cause these sorts of issues - and that's exactly what I am using. If I remove it and turn on ACPI again it all works with no problems, but I need its SPDIF out. Ho hum.

Good luck.