Brian Bosch wrote:

I was having the same issues with /etc/fstab being re-written by fstab-sync
so I am using this entry:

/dev/hdb /media/cdrom iso9660 pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0

That is, I changed the fstype to "iso9660" from "auto" per Jarod's advice,
Which is good for CD's, but not for DVD's.

and I removed "managed" from the options as this seems to cause fstab-sync
to leave the entry alone. This *mostly* works (the entry survives a reboot)
except that every now and then I have to ssh into the box and $ umount
/dev/hdb. I don't know why that is... I'll have one of two problems; either
xine will exit very quickly after trying to play a DVD with a quick flash of
an error message saying something to effect that the device can't be read.
Or, after watching the DVD, I can't eject it from the drive.
DVD's are not iso9660, they're udf. I don't know why Jarod's guide suggests iso9660, but I'd guess he was suggesting that for a CD drive, not for a DVD drive used for both DVD's and CD's. Otherwise, it must be to work around some problem in FC4, in which case you can just ignore me...

Mike