[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I'd call that a false assumption. I think the main reasons people are using PVRs is so they can "pause live TV" and so they can "timeshift" like a VCR. Those two reasons form the basis of almost all of the advertising in the commercial PVR market.

I agree.  Mostly I want timeshift.

Skipping commercials is a nice feature but probably not the driving force behind the sudden growth in the PVR demand. (Some PVRs don't have the ability to skip commercials automatically.)

Myth fails often enough that I have even turned off commercial flagging here (Australia, PAL, and using DVB-T card - if that matters)