On Nov 7, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Chris Trown wrote:

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Anyone know how to make this STICK so it is inplace after reboot :(

Thanks
On Nov 4, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Where do you set the duplex and speed of your NIC in Debian (or Linux).

My server is in half duplex (as I have collisions showing in ifconfig) and my through put sucks ((1.2 gig file is taking 60 hours!)

I can not seem to find this anywhere?

Thank you in advance.

If it is anything like my redhat system,

man mii-tool

Kevin

Why don't you check why it is going to half-duplex? This usually indicates a serious problem, as this is the last fall-back of auto- negotiation....
Problem can range from:
- faulty switch
- incorrect switch setting
- faulty cable
forcing to full duplex without researching the underlying problem will likely only generate more problems. Also the transmission time you mention is indicating more problems than just duplex mismatch.

I'll second this. There was a time when setting the speed/ duplex was almost required for Cisco switches. Not sure anymore. Trying to force speed/duplex on an HP switch will cause nothing but problems.

     I say start with everything auto and go from there.

Chris...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin

I have a Cisco Switch, and my networking background is to not let anything static do any 'auto'. I want FD, so the switch is set to FD, and the Server should also be set to FD.

As mentioned duplex problems are usually a wiring issue, and that would need to be fixed if there is an issue with FD.

FD works fine, no errors on ether Server or Switch (when I set it with mii-tool), but Debian wants to 'auto negotiate' and fails, and fall to HD, the Switch being locked at FD, causes collisions on the server side (normal duplex issue).

If I let it 'auto' and it chooses HD, this would suck (about 33mbps is all that one could expect from 100m HD). I want FD, so why not set the network the way it should be, resolve any issue (such as NIC not coming up in locked FD).

For PC or 'public ports' switches should be auto-negotiated, to permit what ever PC/laptop plugs in to work, but a Server should be static.

I will dig deeper, I can not believe that there is a server OS that does not permit locking of Duplex and Speed.

From:
    Kevin Cossaboon
    Home MAC Mini Computer
    http://www.cossaboon.net