Hi everybody,

I'm planning my myth setup and I'm a little confused about how to handle capturing and playing back surround sound.  Here's the plan so far:

Backend/frontend with a single pvr-150 (for now) and a Geforce MX460.

The backend will be connected to a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box.  The only digital audio out is a digital coax.  I have a tuner that will accept an optical input.

It's clear that I need a sound card with an optical out to output audio to the receiver, but how do I get 5.1 captured in the first place?

Do I:

1.  Get a soundcard with both coax and optical ports and somehow configure coax for input and optical for output?

2.  If I rely on the pvr-150 for capturing the audio by using coax cable from the digital tuner to the 150, will it capture in 5.1?  If so, would I be sacrificing video quality by not using s-video?

3.  Or am I missing something else?

Thanks,

-John