I've got sort of a unique situation.... I have a portable computer that provides the entertainment engine for the living room. When we go on trips, we take that computer with us.

The old system used to run a whole bunch of python scripts to download the favorite recent movies - it kept a running average of movies watched - so you would always have your favorite 40 movies with you. (If you ever traveled with kids, you know why this is important...)

Now I have a myth front end on that machine; the back end and mysql both run on the main server....

I don't think it would be too difficult write a script to dump favorite movies from mysql into a 'satellite' mysql running on the portable, and then run mysql and the backend on the portable if the hostname is not 'livingroom'.

But before I go reinventing the wheel, I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this....

TIA,

--Yan