Thanks Chris,

On Nov 14, 2005, at 7:10 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 06:11:35PM -0500, James Howison wrote:
It was asking for config where the
hostname="MinistryOfInformation.local" which is indeed my laptop.  As
an experiment I changed the "LocalHostName" in mysql.txt to "quahog"
which is the hostname of my backend.  Now the frontend seems to
communicate fine, the right theme comes up.

Were there any records in the settings table for the long hostname? If not then I'd suspect you have read-only access to the table and are not saving the settings after running through the first stage of the client
configuration.

There were entries there.  Mysql permissions appear to be fine.

So now the question is how does the hostname stuff work, the
LocalHostName=backendname hack doesn't feel right.

It's not right.  Myth usually uses the machines FQDN as the hostname
value in the settings table.  There's a setting in the initial setup
page that allows you to indicate that you want to use a specific client
name.  It's intended as a way of working around dynamic hostnames for
DHCP clients, but can also be used to force a shorter hostname.
Really, all you need is a unique identifier.

When you specified the backend as your hostname, all you really did was
piggy-back on the existing configuration from the last time the
mythfrontend software was run on the backend.  Down that path lies
madness.

Should I delete
all the hostname="my laptop hostname" settings from the database?  Is
there a way to reset it, or should I do it manually? (This seems to
suggest that I shouldn't alter the database directly: http://
www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.15)

The rule about never touching the database is more concerned with how
the backend tracks the recordings.  It shouldn't hurt to clean out the
settings table manually.  Just make sure you only delete the frontend
settings (the ones that have a hostname) and leave the backend settings
(the ones with no hostname) alone.

This was the key. My MasterServerIP was set with a hostname (the hostname of the backend), once I made the hostname NULL for the MasterServerIP everything works fine. I deleted all the entries for my laptop, and the ~/.mythtv folder, and restarted the MythFrontend.app, this time everything worked as expected; once I specified the database location and the language I was able to control Myth fine. Checking the database showed that the entries under my laptops FQDN were fine.

To re-confirm I changed the hostname for the MasterServerIP back to quahog and the behaviour returned to the original frustrations. Can anyone confirm that the MasterServerIP ought to have NULL as hostname? If that is the case then I'll investigate mythtv-setup on Knoppmyth R5A22 and see if it is erroneously setting it to the hostname of the backend.

Thanks again,
James