On 11/15/05, Michael T. Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Marshall Crocker wrote:

> I saw that too when I did my survey last month.  I said I would change
> the update time from the morning hours to 9am - Midnight but never
> did.  If everyone who does this survey changes then they'll end up
> with everyone switching to this time and their servers will be
> overloaded during the 9am-Midnight hours.  Maybe it's not asking
> everyone to do that?

Or, perhaps they're going to ask everyone to use specific times and
customize those times based on the user's location ( i.e. making sure
they specify the proper local time) and perhaps renewal date.

Just asking the whole world to use some time between 9:00am and midnight
would accomplish little (because 9:00am and midnight come at different
times in each time zone)...  Now, if they said, "Between 9am-Midnight
EST," that would be a different story...  Also, if they really wanted to
get the message out, they could have easily put some info on the forum
(Has anyone seen a post there?  I couldn't find anything.) or even a
recommended download time on each user's account page.

So, I would say don't make any changes until you're explicitly asked to
do so.  If anyone finds any specific instructions for the community at
large, please let us know.

Mike

Maybe they're just trying to keep people out of their backup windows.

--
Thanks,
Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>