Michael T. Dean wrote:

James C. Dastrup wrote:

On 11/15/05, tgate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It turns out that all the major noise is coming from my graphics
card, an nvidia gforce 6600 which has a fan.  Could someone suggest
an alternative that is good but without a fan.  Or is there some
clever mod that can be done which makes it okay to unplug the
graphics card fan?

I use the ATI RADEON 9600 SE. No fan and plays back HD content
perfectly for me. Using ATI's driver, which I know many people
complain about, but HD/SD TV watching it has given me no problems.

But no XvMC for the ATI cards, so make sure you don't need it.

Mike

Have to ask because I have never been able to figure out what the difference is: What is the difference between xv and xvmc. I read somewhere that xvmc is a hardware thing while xv is jsut somekind of software extension. But if that were true, than why is xv dependant on the graphics card driver at all? The ati cards can use xv, but not xvmc, why is that, and is there a giant performance difference between the two? I read on this list a guy using xvmc with an nvidia card taking 2-3% proc time in X to run a 720x480 stream, which is exactly how much is takes using xv with an ati card? Would it take even more using xv and not xvmc? Sorry for the seemingly obvious to answer question. My friend is getting ready to builf a myth box using nvidia and as I use ATI I want to make sure I have enough knowledge to help.
Raphael