On Friday 18 November 2005 09:12, Mark J. Small wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm looking in to the HD cards like the 3000 and the fusion 5 to use with
> digital cable.  On my system there are a lot of SD channels in the clear as
> well.
>
> I was looking at the diagnostic menus on my cable box, and there I can see
> information like the frequency and whether the channel is in the clear or
> not.  I have seen three options as to whether a channel is clear or not.
> They are:
>
> CLR -- obviously clear
> UNE -- unencrypted??
> UNC -- encrypted
>
> Does anyone know what the difference between clear and unencrypted is?
> Would I be able to get unencrypted channels with a tuner card?
>
> Mark

many cable companies encrypt the signal so that only a cable box can unencrypt
it, then 5C comes into play as to whether the box will send the signal out
over firewire.
5C=0 is basically off, ie no 5C device needed
5C=1 is copy once
5C=2 is copy never (ie only for playback to a TV).

I happen to be visiting the folks this weekend and made the discovery that
their DCT6412 has 5C=0 for EVERYTHING. I'm jealous, and trying to figure out
how to get this dual tuner DVR to send the video to my laptop, its a lot more
finicky than my DCT6200 at home.

Steve