Stephen Henderson wrote:

When my second encoder card is used to record programs, the recordings have no sound and the video plays double-wide, yet cropped such as to present the proper aspect ratio, leaving only the left-hand side of the program material visible & stretched.

The first encoder card always works like a charm.

The issue first seemed to appear 6 months ago or so. I disabled the card after frustration and recording a 'critical' Battlestar Galactica poorly... ouch.

In a burst of energy... and given the off-season of Galactica, I enabled the second card a few weeks ago, and it seemed to be working until I physically rebooted the backend server... at that point we were back to wide & quiet recordings on the second card.

Until today... somehow the problem is fixed.

I've left it enabled to spur me to debug the problem.

My guess is that the mythbackend is not altering the capture settings on the second card, leaving some bad power-on defaults in place. I'm wondering if any readers have ideas surrounding mythbackend's behavior w.r.t. setting capture settings, problems that might be related, etc.
Here's some info:
1. FC4 configured, per J. Wilson's HOWTO, via YUM.
2. Encoder 1 is a PVR350
3. Encoder 2 is a PVR250
4. I've diff'd the ivtvctl output for both cards during the wide & quiet era, and today during the double-fisted recording era. This effort clearly illustrates that the capture settings are wrong when things are wide & quiet. 5. /var/log/mythtv/mythtbackend.log doesn't seem to be reporting any 'couldn't set the settings' failure. Also, the permissions of the /dev/video devices do not vary.
6. Mythbackend runs as root.

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any suggestions.

If there are different settings, set them properly before starting mythbackend and confirm they are correct using other methods of capture (cat /dev/video1 > tmp.mpg). In short, get the card working reliably and repeatably outside of Myth before you start looking for Myth as a culprit.

Kevin

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net