I was having the same problem. I had been running mythfrontend as root and out of desperation I switched to running as a normal user but running suid root, with mythfrontend owned by root. Suddenly the stuttering went away. I can't imagine why.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take back the fact that it works. It did work for about 45 minutes and then the front end crashed. When I started back up I got the stuttering all over again. I'm at a complete loss. On top of that, occasionally when I go to watch liveTV the front end will crash. I start it up again and the next time it stays up. Seems pretty random.

-todd