Hi,

I installed my MythTV about a year ago (FC3 using Jarod's guide) and it has been excellent and stable ever since.

I suppose it was bound to happen at christmas :-( but I went on holiday, there must have been a power cut and Myth backend did not come back up. Not sure of the exact sequence of events but I got this system e-mail during the same period:

Jarod's guide

==========================
This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

  host name: mythtv.home.theansells.com
 DNS domain: home.theansells.com
 NIS domain: (none)

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/hda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent.

Now the system boots past udev, etc as far as the graphical rotating hour glass which just sits there rotating.

I realise this is probably some fault/corruption with FC rather than MythTV as such, but you guys have been so much help when I set the system up I was hopeing for some pointers.

I can't even get in to the system. Tried booting to other installed kernels, same result. Can't remote in.

What is the best recovery/debug method, hopefully without total loss of MythTV recordings!

Many Thx,
Dave