They don't care what you watch as long as they can turn your screen
into a billboard for 10-20 minutes per hour. With digital cable, they
can tell at the source what you're watching -- no need to fuss around
with Nielson diaries or PeopleMeters.

What's kind of spooky is that your cable company will have your
personal data plus very detailed info on your viewing habits. It's
more like that silly Tom Cruise sci-fi film than 1984. We're not
talking about eye implants yet (although that may be in the MPAAs new
bill), but there are all kinds of special, targeted advertising
schemes that are being drawn up (I would reckon by junior advertising
executives over this very weekend).

In any event, does anyone know the current status of the bill -- has
it been voted on and/or sent to committee? What committee will it go
to? They start a new session after the holiday, I believe, and that
also may mean that anything that didn't get done this session will
have to be reintroduced.

It's still a long way from being a law, and I doubt it will get
anywhere on it's own. On the other hand, it's got the words Transition
and Security in it, and those are very well-funded words in DC. The
danger is that the language of this bill gets pasted into an omnibus
appropriations bill, or defense spending, or whatever.

We definitely need to keep a close eye on this one.

Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone. All the best in the new year.