Alex Malinovich wrote:

Apologies in advance if this is an often-asked question.

I'm looking at setting up a MythTV box to replace the pathetic excuse
for a PVR that Comcast provides with their HDTV tuner.

I know that there are HDTV cards out there which can receive an OTA HDTV
signal, but what about when the HDTV signal is from a cable box? Is it
possible to run the DVI or component output from the cable box into a
MythTV box, and then from the MythTV box to the TV using DVI/component?

I've been researching all things MythTV for the last two days but I
haven't found anything addressing this particular setup. I've found a
few posts mentioning that you can't run a digital cable signal straight
into a tuner card, but nothing addressing whether you can use the HD
output from the cable box as an HD input on the MythTV box.

TIA for any help.
There are two ways to capture HDTV.
1)  OTA with an HDTV tuner card
2) via Firewire from a cable box like the Motorola DCT-6200 (IIRC). This is limited only to the channels that the cable provider provides unencrypted on the firewire port

Kevin

--
Looking for affordable webhosting?  http://www.sitecity.net