Ok, next step was to build the proprietary ATI driver and see if that
helped.  Nope.
So I'm running the fglrx driver instead of the radeon driver in X, but
no joy, still segfaulting.

I did manage to figure out the security lockdown in gentoo's X
(go into the /usr/X11R6/bin/startx script and pull the --nolisten tcp flag)

and get some GDB output.  What I got was all the same log messages
(see above) but also this line after the segfault:

#0 0xb65b6dbc in nanosleep  () from /lib/libc.so.6

I hope that helps - it's frustrating being so close, and so far.

Is there at least a hack that I can use in the interim to point "watch
recordings" to mplayer instead of the internal player?  trying to find
shows by 1066_YYYYMMDDhhmm_etc.  is not easy.

If it helps any, I am having the EXACT same problem with my setup (gentoo, brand new install, Radeon Mobility 7500. myth worked fine with the normal ati drivers, crashes with a segfault with the radeon DRI OpenGL drivers. I have the nvidia use flag turned off. is myth hardcoded to use nvidia for some reason? Logically, it should not be trying to open /dev/nvidia0 at ALL if I have nvidia turned off.

 - Jeff