On Dec 29, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

Brad DerManouelian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> says:
Yeechang, what kind of drives are in your RAID 5? ATA-133? 7200 RPM? =
8MB Cache?

They are Seagate Barracuda.8 400GB PATA drives (I got a fantastic
price on 'em a year ago, the month after their debut). Not far from
the state of the art for drives even today, and needless to say each
with 7200RPM and 8MB cache.

Then you're right. You should be getting MUCH better performance out of these drives. I'm still sticking to my guns that RAID 5 is one of the slowest RAID choices. :) It's just a simple fact.

Are you sure you don't have a drive failure? RAID 5 will continue on normally but your speed will sink fast if a drive fails.