AFAIK you still need to set your audio device. I was getting the same error trying to use /dev/adsp but only root had permissions on that device. /dev/dsp worked for me. I followed Jarod's guide to set up. I'm not sure which part of it set up my audio device correctly (I'm guessing it's part of the ivtv driver), but it might help to look through it.