Is there anyone with experience with running mythfrontend on windows? Is there any other way to get a mythfrontend running (someone tried it with vmware or something?).

It is easier just to install the dsmyth driver (and a suitable codec if not already there) and then play recordings with a player of your choice (I use ZoomPlayer, because it is easy to set up to handle non-square pixels and it starts fast). If you want to watch livetv, then start recording via mythweb and watch that recording.
Now I have set up an additional PC with MythTV, so I seldom use Windows PCs to watch recordings...

Niels Dybdahl