"Preston Crow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Most people, especially the developers, use the PVR-xxx cards that have
> built-in MPEG-2 encoders, so I wouldn't expect to see much work going in
> to improving transcoding with a MPEG-4 source.

Which has always puzzled me.   Given the advantages of MPEG4 and
the fact that a software encoder card + fast CPU costs much less
than a hardware encoder card + slow CPU,  why would one pay for the
hardware encoder?  I can see where it's a stand-alone front end
and a noisy CPU fan is an issue, but in general?

Steve