Chris, when you say 600MHz PIII, is that with a hardware MPEG encoder/decoder or without?  For SD that is.

On 1/18/06, Chris Ribe < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Are you going to be doing HD?

If not, you can't go too cheap.  If you are only interested in SD programming a good rule of thumb is probrably, "If you can buy it new, it's overkill."

The only components you really need to put any thought into are the capture card(s) and hard disks(s).  And the video card,kind of.  More storage is better.

Regarding memory specifically, if it is really going to be a dedicated Myth box, there is no reason to waste money buying 2GB of memory.  512MB would be more than enough.

If you are going to use a television for your monitor, don't worry about a monitor.

Otherwise, get an NVidia 5xxx video card.

To do simultaneous playback and recording, your processor should be at least a 600Mhz PIII or equivalent.