Ouch. so my thinking that the little skips and pauses when I first start playback of an HD recording, or when I resume play from a paused playback of HD are related to the AGPGART are probably vain hope. I didn't know what could be causing the slowdowns and the couple of seconds to get the playback going smoothly. It's not a terrible price to pay, but it is kind of annoying. I had switched to that 6200 Nvidia card, and hoped that the 3100 Sempron would be more than enough to smoothly play this content. I am following your guide almost to the letter Jarod. I don't think I missed any steps anyhow. I'm also setup suid on mythfrontend, so I figured that might give me a little speed edge.

On 1/19/06, Jarod Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thursday 19 January 2006 01:01, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > 8xxx versions of the Nvidia driver, and I am thinking that by not
> > "uninstalling" the old ATI drivers, that I may have caused the YUM
> > install to fail to copy over the NVAGP files correctly. Is this a
> > possibility? Is there an easy way to get the ATI junk uninstalled if I
> > used the Binary download from ati.com? Should I try using the Nvidia
> > binary .run file and see if that fixes it?
>
> I have a feeling that you may need to recompile your kernel for the
> "1" option to work. I remember recompiling to do just this and then
> foudn myself in kernel module hell so I gave up!
>
> Happy to be corrected on this, though, cos as I say it's only a faint
> recollection.

Nope, that sounds correct. If the "1" isn't being respected, its likely
because AGPGART is built into the kernel (rather than as a module), and thus
you can't replace it w/NvAGP. Red Hat/Fedora builds AGPGART into their
kernels. I've not found any compelling reason to use NvAGP over AGPGART
though.

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]