Tom Burt wrote:
On Sunday 22 January 2006 17:13, Dave Bixler wrote:

I've been searching the lists for the last few days trying to find out
what I may have done wrong to cause the behavior that I'm experiencing
with no luck so I finally decided to ask for help here.

Everything is working very well and my system is stable.  I can watch TV
using the TV Viewer in Redhat FC4 and if I un-mute the line in, audio is
flawless.  Sound/music also plays flawlessly.

So, I have the patch cable from the Hauppauge WinTV Go Plus to the line
in of my Diamond Monster Sound audio card.  When I run MythTV and select
Watch TV, it fires up fine.  However, only the right speaker has audio.
The left speaker starts having a tiny amount of static.  This static
then starts getting louder about every second preceded by a small "pop"
sound.  Each time, it's as if the volume of the static is doubled until
it becomes so loud it just distorts horribly.  If I use kmix and slide
the balance all the way to the right speaker, I still hear the audio
from the TV card fine.  If I slide it all the way to the left, it's pure
static.  Does anyone have ANY suggestions whatsoever?  I'm including
potential hardware info at the end of this message and if I've forgotten
anything, or can include additional information, please let me know.
I'm dying to have this working, it's such a sweet application!

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I think I have a very similar problem to yours except that I have TV audio on
the left hand side. I'm still testing my problem and trying to find a
solution. My findings so far:
- if I unmute line in, audio is perfect with tvtime
- if I mute line in, I get sound from the left speaker in myth. However, sound
from the right speaker is not simply static, it is recording form the mic!
Yes, that's what is happening: left input is line-in, right input is from the
mic at the same time! Please check if this is your case, too. I have two mic
plugs, one in the front, one on the rear side of the machine, so if you
happen to have a similar PC, you might need to also select the correct mic in
kmix to check this.
- I can reproduce the "pop" sound getting louder, can't remember which setting
influences this in kmix, but by playing around with controls I could easily
get rid of this problem. I cannot check this right now, as a longer recording
is in progress on my box.
- the problem does not seem to be related to myth however: if I eg. record
sound from line in with krecord, the same thing happens: the left side is
recording from the line input, the right side from the mic.

I suspect the problem is that the sound driver is incompatible with the mixer
circuit in the integrated sound card. My motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X-X
(nforce2 chipset). Recording works perfectly under Windows, at least.

I have no idea where to go next, already tried google, without success. But
I'm not an expert in Linux...

Tom

Thanks for the feedback.  I tried what you suggested, but the mic does not seem to be on the other channel.  Granted, this card has several inputs on the board itself, so it's completely possible that one of those are being used.  I tried changing the settings from mic1 to mic2 in kmix but it didn't seem to matter.  I do think that what you've said about our problems possibly being the same is correct.

Another thing that I tried was enabling the microphone as record.  I fired up MythTV and then spoke into the mic.  What came out of the left channel was my voice, but then the right channel (again) started to degrade.  However, what I noticed was that my voice was echoed into that channel as well as the static, like a feedback loop.

--Dave