On 1/30/06, Jesse Guardiani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

I've been thinking about HDTV a bit more lately. Considering pricing an HDTV
LCD screen, weighing my options for a linear upgrade path over the next year
or so - things like that. I'm curious... how large are HDTV recordings?

For example, my PVR350 encodes to Mpeg-2 at 1.1Gb/half hour and 2.2Gb/hour.
I know HDTV is still mpeg-2, but the resolution is much higher, and it
has AC-3 audio, right?

What is a similar file size from a PCHD3000 or similar?

Also, does MythTV support transcoding HDTV to Mpeg-4, but keeping the same
resolution and AC-3 audio? What file size would that produce?

Thanks!

~7-8gig/hr with commercials for 1080i
~5gig/hr with commercials for 720p

of course, specific bitrates will vary depending on source and network.

--
Steve