I'm using the version of Nagios that is in Debian/Stable (which I think is a modified 1.3).

I'm trying to sort out escalations a little bit. I can see how hostgroup escalations work, if there is a host-level problem.

If I've got, say, "smtp" service definitions for three hosts, do I really have to have three different serviceescalation declarations -- one for each service definition -- to escalate each one? Is there no way whatsoever to simply say anything with service_description "SMTP" and host_name of "*" or something?

Seems really ... well ... sucky, that for every host/service declaration I'd have to explicitly have an independent escalation declaration as well.

Cheers,

Derek J. Balling
Systems Administrator
Vassar College