This was a year or two ago, but we found that when we ran Nagios in this way it
worked in general, but because of the sort of variable size of a second on
VMware, the latencies were kind of screwed up.  This was clearly evidenced when
we looked at the performance statistics.  Nagios indicated that a lot of checks
ran earlier or later than it had expected them to.

I don't know if somehow that's gone away or not, but it was a big issue for us
and not within the realm of things we were able to tolerate so we want back to
physical servers.

One of the arguments I know I've seen before on this list is the idea that
you're doing your critical system monitoring inside an abstracted layer (the
VM) which might alter your view of the world or fail to work should there be an
issue with the ESX server.  But all possible acceptable depending on your
site's needs.

Mark