Some of this depends upon the security of the system.  Maybe on a host
with protected information you should run a standalone version of
Nagios and submit the results to the main server, just like a
distributed setup.

Likely for most instances this is not a problem especially if you run
a firewall on the system and restrict the nsca port to only your
nagios server.

In the version i am running there is a section for allowed hosts and
this should only contain your Nagios server, and the password should
be difficult to guess and SSL should be enabled.

Greg Pangrazio
pangr...@gmail.com
847-707-7933 (c)
847-973-0307 (h)