On Jan 21, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Litwin, Matthew wrote:

> In solaris it is critical that you run nrpe on solaris in daemon mode.

That's a strong statement. Why? I don't recall hearing of problems running it
out of inetd and doing so seems to be fairly common.

> Running it like this you should be able to kill it without a problem as it
> will maintain the pid. Make sure in nrpe.cfg that the nrpe user can write its
> pid where specified. If you look in syslog you should see details about how
> it starts.

The OP's apparent 'problem' is not that he wants to kill child processes
hanging out in the process table but rather socket connections that he sees
using netstat that the OS is keeping in a TIME_WAIT state. These would be
normal except for  'hanging around indefinitely'. Pending further developments
from the OP, this would appear to be an OS TCP stack issue since NRPE is not
involved in removing those.

--
Marc