Hi all,

as I can see in the logfile the patches are included in version 3.2.1:
Speedup to CGIs when lots of comments or downtimes in status.dat file (Jonathan
Kamens)

I attach the results of "nagios -s nagios.cfg" from unpatched 3.2.0
and 3.2.1 version. I think my monitored hosts and services are few to
see any difference!

> On 17 Dec 2009, at 08:12, Brandino Andreas wrote:

>> I have much less hosts and services (for the moment).
>> After deleting "retention.dat" I still face the same delay...
>>

> When did this slow down occur? I can see how Jonathan's patches speed
> up the system but these look like long-term bottlenecks, not a 3.0 ->
> 3.2 migration. I'm interested to know when the slowdown occurred and
> if it is the side effect of something else.

> There was a patch applied sometime in 3.1 which improved the circular
> parents lookup, but I don't know much else (Andreas applied it but
> didn't update the Changelog).

> Some information from a "slow startup system" and a "fast startup
> system":
>    * how do you define the startup time? (time from nagios start to
> status.dat appearing?)
>    * which version of Nagios?
>    * size of system (number of hosts, services, comments, downtimes)
>    * broker modules you use
>    * nagios -s nagios.cfg - what does the timings tell you?

> Ton

> any issue.

<> ---  -    -    -  --- <>
    Brandino Andreas
    ampra...@gmail.com
<> ---  -    -    -  --- <>
srv:/etc/nagios# nagios -s nagios.cfg

Nagios Core 3.2.0
Copyright (c) 2009 Nagios Core Development Team and Community Contributors
Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
Last Modified: 08-12-2009
License: GPL

Website: http://www.nagios.org
Timing information on object configuration processing is listed
below.  You can use this information to see if precaching your
object configuration would be useful.

Object Config Source: Config files (uncached)

OBJECT CONFIG PROCESSING TIMES      (* = Potential for precache savings with -u
option)
----------------------------------
Read:                 0.012109 sec
Resolve:              0.000203 sec  *
Recomb Contactgroups: 0.000044 sec  *
Recomb Hostgroups:    0.000194 sec  *
Dup Services:         0.002167 sec  *
Recomb Servicegroups: 0.000488 sec  *
Duplicate:            0.000473 sec  *
Inherit:              0.000341 sec  *
Recomb Contacts:      0.000001 sec  *
Sort:                 0.000000 sec  *
Register:             0.003409 sec
Free:                 0.000490 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.020265 sec  * = 0.004257 sec (21.01%) estimated savings

RETENTION DATA TIMES
----------------------------------
Read and Process:     0.045337 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.045337 sec

Timing information on configuration verification is listed below.

CONFIG VERIFICATION TIMES          (* = Potential for speedup with -x option)
----------------------------------
Object Relationships: 0.003028 sec
Circular Paths:       0.000013 sec  *
Misc:                 0.000535 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.003576 sec  * = 0.000013 sec (0.4%) estimated savings

EVENT SCHEDULING TIMES
-------------------------------------
Get service info:        0.003102 sec
Get host info info:      0.000039 sec
Get service params:      0.000009 sec
Schedule service times:  0.009523 sec
Schedule service events: 0.000716 sec
Get host params:         0.000002 sec
Schedule host times:     0.001049 sec
Schedule host events:    0.000467 sec
                         ============
TOTAL:                   0.014907 sec

Projected scheduling information for host and service checks
is listed below.  This information assumes that you are going
to start running Nagios with your current config files.

HOST SCHEDULING INFORMATION
---------------------------
Total hosts:                     118
Total scheduled hosts:           117
Host inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average host check interval:     300.00 sec
Host inter-check delay:          2.56 sec
Max host check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:           Fri Mar 12 16:02:08 2010
Last scheduled check:            Fri Mar 12 16:07:05 2010

SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
-------------------------------
Total services:                     483
Total scheduled services:           483
Service inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average service check interval:     421.12 sec
Inter-check delay:                  0.87 sec
Interleave factor method:           SMART
Average services per host:          4.09
Service interleave factor:          5
Max service check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:              Fri Mar 12 16:03:32 2010
Last scheduled check:               Fri Mar 12 16:10:33 2010

CHECK PROCESSING INFORMATION
----------------------------
Check result reaper interval:       10 sec
Max concurrent service checks:      Unlimited

PERFORMANCE SUGGESTIONS
-----------------------
I have no suggestions - things look okay.
srv:/etc/nagios# nagios -s nagios.cfg

Nagios Core 3.2.1
Copyright (c) 2009-2010 Nagios Core Development Team and Community Contributors
Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Ethan Galstad
Last Modified: 03-09-2010
License: GPL

Website: http://www.nagios.org
Timing information on object configuration processing is listed
below.  You can use this information to see if precaching your
object configuration would be useful.

Object Config Source: Config files (uncached)

OBJECT CONFIG PROCESSING TIMES      (* = Potential for precache savings with -u
option)
----------------------------------
Read:                 0.012247 sec
Resolve:              0.000209 sec  *
Recomb Contactgroups: 0.000048 sec  *
Recomb Hostgroups:    0.000195 sec  *
Dup Services:         0.002123 sec  *
Recomb Servicegroups: 0.000491 sec  *
Duplicate:            0.000470 sec  *
Inherit:              0.000350 sec  *
Recomb Contacts:      0.000001 sec  *
Sort:                 0.000000 sec  *
Register:             0.003395 sec
Free:                 0.000506 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.020401 sec  * = 0.004253 sec (20.85%) estimated savings

RETENTION DATA TIMES
----------------------------------
Read and Process:     0.044998 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.044998 sec

Timing information on configuration verification is listed below.

CONFIG VERIFICATION TIMES          (* = Potential for speedup with -x option)
----------------------------------
Object Relationships: 0.003004 sec
Circular Paths:       0.000016 sec  *
Misc:                 0.000510 sec
                      ============
TOTAL:                0.003530 sec  * = 0.000016 sec (0.5%) estimated savings

EVENT SCHEDULING TIMES
-------------------------------------
Get service info:        0.003135 sec
Get host info info:      0.000034 sec
Get service params:      0.000010 sec
Schedule service times:  0.003659 sec
Schedule service events: 0.000714 sec
Get host params:         0.000001 sec
Schedule host times:     0.000679 sec
Schedule host events:    0.000486 sec
                         ============
TOTAL:                   0.008718 sec

Projected scheduling information for host and service checks
is listed below.  This information assumes that you are going
to start running Nagios with your current config files.

HOST SCHEDULING INFORMATION
---------------------------
Total hosts:                     118
Total scheduled hosts:           117
Host inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average host check interval:     300.00 sec
Host inter-check delay:          2.56 sec
Max host check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:           Fri Mar 12 16:21:38 2010
Last scheduled check:            Fri Mar 12 16:23:02 2010

SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
-------------------------------
Total services:                     483
Total scheduled services:           483
Service inter-check delay method:   SMART
Average service check interval:     421.12 sec
Inter-check delay:                  0.87 sec
Interleave factor method:           SMART
Average services per host:          4.09
Service interleave factor:          5
Max service check spread:           30 min
First scheduled check:              Fri Mar 12 16:23:02 2010
Last scheduled check:               Fri Mar 12 16:29:06 2010