On Aug 3, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Frater, Greg J wrote:

> There was a routing issue on our WAN that caused this event, the SMTP server
> we use is across the WAN.  Could the routing issue have prevented some of the
> SMTP notifications from being sent, wouldn't they just queue up and go once
> the problem was resolved?

They would be queued by the SMTP server running on your nagios machine.
Redelivery attempts would occur based on the configuration there.

>  I have seen messages that did not arrive at the recipients phone but I've
> never seen Nagios not generate notifications for contacts that are configured
> for that host or service.  Has anyone else seen this, any suggestions on a
> cause or how to troubleshoot?

- Check nagios.log for a HOST NOTIFICATION event for that group. Make sure
there were no errors logged.
- Check your local SMTP server logs to see if the messages were received there
and no errors were reported.
- Make sure that nagios has been restarted since adding this group and contacts.
- Make sure you don't have multiple nagios daemons running at the same time.

--
Marc