I have a Canon Powershot S2-IS.

It is an SLR-type camera that does not take interchangeable
lenses (ooooh, how I swoon at the new digital Rebels) but
the primary reasons I opted for this camera were
A. it has a "super macro" function. The regular macro
allows me to focus from approximately 11 inches to 1.5 feet
(I think, I'm not looking this stuff up to be sure) but the
SUPER MACRO allows me to focus up to .5 an inch away from
my subject! That means that I can just about lay the lens
on top of the nails and still have them in focus!

Of course, this is not desirable. The lens blocks the light
and if you use flash with the super macro (or regular macro
most times) it will completely white out your shot.

I take most shots about 6 inches away from the nails in
super macro under the table light-- no flash.

B. It takes regular AA batteries. Frankly, for work
purposes and rechargable lithium battery would suit me
fine, but since film bit the dust, this is now my "best"
camera (I also have a Canon A-1 35mm with multiple lenses,
but film is pretty much dead now) so taking AA batteries
means I can travel with this camera and never worry about
batteries dying, because I can pick up a new set of AA's
just about anywhere.

When you decide on your camera: do some internet research
or find a good store where the salesperson knows their
products. Check out "shutter lag." It's the amount of time
between pushing the shutter button and the camera actually
recording the image. My "mother in law" (boyfriend's mom)
and his sister both have Kodak Easy Share cameras. They're
fine as far as picture quality and ease of use goes, but
they make me CRAZY because when I'm trying to get shots of
the dogs or the baby (boyfriend's niece) I lose all those
"Kodak moments" because it's about 2 seconds of shutter
lag!

Shutter lag isn't too big an issue with taking pix of nails
though because your model will be holding still-- hopefully
until you tell her she can move again.

When you do decide on your camera, come back and let us
know, and I'll tell you all about white balance! lol.

> I have come to the conclusion after looking at everyone's
> my space photos that I either suck as a
> photographer...which is 50% true... or I need a new
> camera.  I am looking at Canon cameras...any suggestions?
>  I want something that will show detail well.  Thanks
> techies!  ;-)
>
> Adrienne Schodtler

Maggie Franklin: Attitudes Salon; Visalia, CA
Now Blogging for Nails Magazine online!
http://blogs.nailsmag.com/maggie/
http://www.nailsbymaggie.biz
"Visionary rebel dreamer; obviously way ahead of my time."