I have a problem. I work at a private college as director of nails and
esthetics, a privately run college. We are quite expensive to go to, and there
are
other schools around us that are much less expensive. We have such  a
reputation in the community with the salons, day spas, and our State  Board
Representative, who know our school and they only hire our students. I  make
sure the
instructors stay in the room with their students, helping them  with any
questions, constant demos, etc...

I am being bombarded with salons calling wanting a good, qualified  nailtech,
and I can't get people to sign up for the program. I had a meeting  with one
of our admissions reps last night and she doesn't think the college is
promoting nail technology very well. We offer surgical tech, medical assisting,

dental assisting, massage therapy, criminal justice, and a few IT classes. Her
idea is to hit the salons, asking them to put flyers or brochures at the front,
 but we aren't sure what they need to say. I don't want to bash other
schools,  but we all know the majority hands you a book, tells you to let them
know
when  to take a test and you learn nails off of a video if you are so lucky to
have a  VCR.

I don't want this to become a sounding board for who had the worst schools,
but I would love some ideas on how we could promote the positive aspect of our
 school. Right now we have 9 nailtech students and two instructors, with me
overseeing. I need marketing ideas on how to reach prospective students.

Thanks in advance,

Darlene Sammons LMT, NMT
Director of Esthetics  and Nail Technology
Miller-Motte Technical College
Chattanooga, TN
(423) 510-9675 EXT  234