From: Katherine <polishedpana...@yahoo.com>
Subject: NailTech:: Re: damn, lost another one, but.......
To: NailTech@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, July 27, 2009, 12:49 PM

I, too, have noticed this change. I've been doing nails for 23 years and for
all those years I've taken 1 week off in February and 1 week off in August.
Those were my "slow" times. So predictable that I planned my wedding by it. For
the last 3 years, getting my wedding anniversary week off for vacation has
progressively been like pulling teeth. My "slow week" has become impossible to
predict. I thought that it was because the date has changed for the first day
of school around here, so families have changed their vacation schedules. But,
my "slow" time seems to have no pattern anymore. I'll come in to work with 4
people on my book and before the day is out, I'll have done 8 or 9.
Unfortunately, it's gone the other way too. I was looking at doing 5 or 6
people and ended up doing 3.

I've not lost many clients because of the economy, for me it's because my
second largest group of clients are the WWII generation and they are a) dying
or b) moving to retirement apartments and no longer driving. My largest group
of clients are the "Baby Boomers", solid, 2 week standing clients. I have
an incentive program to get new referrals that is working very well to get new
young clients in the door, but they are the "call when they want an
appointment" clients, not 2 week standings.

I have always offered the latest and greatest in service, product and fashion
so I did not notice the change right away. About a year ago when I tried to get
a full week off in August and found it to be impossible is when it hit me. I
checked my old appointment books and found a steady decline of the 2 week
standings (seniors who passed away or moved to assisted living). Just looking
at my bank deposits didn't show it, I was still making the same money, what
changed was the 2 week standings and the last minute appointments ratio.

I do not like this change. It is very hard to get a week off for vacation with
the last minute people. When they call and I can't accommodate them because I
am out of town on vacation (a sign was posted at my station for a month) they
go somewhere else and I never hear from them again. I have lost 1 new client
every year for the last 3 years when I've taken vacation. So, what's the
solution? Never take vacation? GGGGRRRRRR! I am complaining about this because
I'm taking only 2 days off for my anniversary this year. That's a 4 day weekend
instead of a full 7 days and it's my 20th wedding anniversary :-( ...sad face
is because I cannot take a fabulous vacation with my hubby for our 20th not
because I've been married for 20 years, that's a big :-)

The good news is that it has become very easy to take one day off here and
there. My second job is a belly dancer and a lot of gigs are on a Saturday. In
the past I would have to pass on Saturday gigs, now I have no problem getting
some Saturdays off. Going to the cosmetology convention in Vegas has become
easier, too. 1 Friday and Saturday off....piece of cake. It is just not
possible to take that entire week off. The last minute call ins will wait a day
or two, but not a full week. I'm talking about new people who just get the
basics. Clients who get color gels or glitter gels will wait, they have no
choice, I'm the only game in town ;-)

I'm an optimist and I'm hoping that when the economy improves, the 2 week
standings will come back into fashion and I can take a full week off for my
25th anniversary.

What do you think? Are the 2 week standings a dying breed? Forever a thing of
the past? I'm tearing up.... :-(
 Katherine
St.Louis, MO