Various folks have tried over the years, to set up associations that
could standardize the industry. The problem is us. No one really wants
to get involved or do the work required. Everyone is either too busy
or likes things the way they are. As it is, we've already seen one
province (BC) become DE-regulated. A group in Nova Scotia tried to
pull the same stunt and did not get away with it, thankfully.

Unfortunately, one of the problems is how the regulation is put
forward. Here in Manitoba, it seems like regulation was done to
protect those of us with experience from up and coming competition
because it is high-nigh impossible to get an apprenticeship under the
current legislation. Most of my students will leave the industry in a
year or so because they will never get the hours that they need. The
ones who don't have anyone or anything tying them to here will pack up
and go to Alberta or Ontario where there is no regulation and they can
work for themselves.

Eventually the Manitoba nail techs and estheticians are going to
encounter the same problem that Manitoba electrologists have: no one
will be entering the industry because the old guard regulated it so
damned well that no one can. Electrologists in this province are dying
and retiring with no one to replace them because they regulated
themselves out of successors:D

It's ironic because so much focus is put on apprenticeship hours but
then nothing on maintaining trades training, or on salon standards -
nothing!! They still want your money every two years for that license,
though:P