You can't do it that way because how would you explain to the client why
they are only getting charged tax on 1/2 of the item.

Item purchased at wholesale for $10
I pay 6% sales tax which is .60 cents (should be tax exempt because I am
reselling)
I sell the item for $20 plus $1.20 tax
I claim a $10 retail sale and remit .60 cents, I am reimbursed for my
initial investment of $10.60.

Complicated?  Heck yeah, but that's what we have to do.....