I think there are some differences to consider, I certainly don't
think they are similar.  Just open a bottle and smell the bottles and
you can smell the difference between a SOG in a bottle and one in a
pot.

Length of wear-  I know many of you have clients who can't stand grow
out and come back after 2 weeks like clock work - I have a few of
those, but just a few.  Most of my clients are busy and would rather
be able to go 3-4 weeks between services than come back because of
grow out.  I have one client who I did a pedi on today that has had
the same color on her toes for FOUR months.  I kid you not.  I'm
posting the pics on facebook, happy I took the before shot (I did
because I loved the color combo!).   This client would typically go
completely bare during the winter months because her shoes are on and
she says polish just rubs off too easy and looks terrible too soon -
and in the winter she isn't wearing sandles so it doesn't matter.  But
she said even this morning (with 4 months of grow out) she got a
compliment at the swimming pool at the gym about her toe polish being
an awesome color.  They obviously weren't on the ground looking at the
grow out.  Anyway thats just one example.  I do have some that are 16
days or less with color, but the vast majority are so pleased 3 weeks
out they don't have a chip.  Until I know for a fact the new ones are
3+ weeks it won't compare.  (I did get Shellac at the show last
weekend to try)

Strength for the client - My clients also love that their SOG keeps
their nails from cracking.  They have never been able to grow their
nails to any substantial length before and can now grow them out
without the breaks.

Now I am curious about the new ones in that you don't have to buff the
nail.  That could make a huge difference on the shape of the clients
nail after wearing SOG and removing it month after month.  I now put a
thin layer of classic gel on my clients before I put on the color
simply so I can quickly e-file it off (the classic gel keeps it from
getting hot) and so I don't go down to their natural nail every time.
I am interested to see if the new Shellac and gelish get as good of
wear without a chip for many weeks while not buffing the nail at all.

And soak time is also a good factor.  I hate soaking it off.  Akzentz
is 5 minutes per layer, many of my clients have base, 2 coats of
color, 1 glitter coat, 1 top coat.  Thats 25 minutes.  I don't have
time for that.  I can efile it off in 10.  Plus acetone on their nails
that long gives some the throbbing feeling or can make them dry and
curl.  If it actually soaks in 5 minutes than I'm interested.  I do
also like the CND kits that are basically the cotton and tin foil
things in a little bag.  They say not to retail them.  Thats crazy -
as a professional nail tech I'm not spending $2.50 on 10 soak off pads
when I can use cotton and tin foil for almost nothing.  But retailing
them for those who will soak off at home saves me time in the salon
from removing when they come back, makes a buck, and if the product is
as good as they say - the clients WILL be back.

So this is certainly an interesting topic.  I did try Axium.  I'm not
sure if Gelish wants you to buff the nail or not, if it doesn't
require it, I'll be sure to try it out.  I played with it for a minute
at the Harmony booth in Vegas (which was beautiful by the way).

Love this board where awesome techs throw around ideas and tips. :)