Hi Susan!

At 09:44 AM 11/9/2010, you wrote:
Just received the Light/Gel/Brush deal that I ordered from Star Nail last week.

Boy-O-Boy do I feel like a fish out of water!!

Oh you poor thing, we'll get you swimming in no time I promise you!

The deal included 8 Gel colors, and the master brush collection. I've never used any kind of gel before, so I'm wondering if I need to use a special base/top coat with it? I know each line sells it, and another tech in the salon has the Shellac and Gelish. We share very well together....can I use those base/top coats, or do I need to have the Star Nail base/top to use with the Eco colors?

The Jetsetter collection you received with the Lamp Deal, does not include the base or clear. Base is needed for a number of reasons: adhesion, staining from the pigments in the gels. In the meantime you can use Gelish or Shellac base coats. Apply the base as thin as you possibly can get it, then wipe cuticle to free edge to remove some more !

Applying UV Gel Polishes has a mind set of more "polish application" than "gel application". So even though you have never used gels you will be fine!

For the top cat you can go 2 ways with eco:
1. eco Base, eco color (2 coats), remove dispersion layer (that sticky stuff left over after curing) apply any air or heat dry nail polish top coat such as Seche or Out The Door - or of course you can even use eco Polish Sealer!

2. eco Base, eco color (2 coats), eco Clear, remove dispersion layer

Using the air dry polish as your top coat serves 3 purposes. It is faster both application and drying time than eco Clear gel. The polish helps protect the eco colors from staining. You can retail top coat for instant shine touch ups!

The brush collection has a few different brushes.....are the different brushes just a matter of personal preference or are certain brushes used for certain things (ie: base or top coat, or to do a gel nail as
opposed to gel color application)?

Personal choice here. I prefer a flat oval head nylon brush for my eco gels.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it....the instructions that are included with the Eco Gels says you can build an artificial nail with it. Did I buy the wrong thing? I thought I was getting into the Star Nail Gels to
be used for color application.  Is it the same gel, just applied thinner?

Well yes and no here. You can apply a tip to even put a break for a natural nail client - use one extra base coat and keep it short sporty length.

OK so now we need the long winded gel explanation talk!
There are 3 type of gels on the market today:
Hard traditional - need to be filed off - impervious to acetone
Soak Off gels - will soak off in 20+ minutes
UV Gel Polishes - soaks off in 5-10 minutes

All are available in many colors.
Traditional & Soak off available in different viscosities (regular, builder). You can sculpt and build with these gels, they are considered enhancement products. UV Gel Polishes are gel/pigment or gel/polish mixes. Most come in polish consistency in polish bottle, eco is gel consistency in a pot. These products are considered a replacement for traditional polish for natural nail clients. Some techs are using them over acrylic & gel enhancements also, in which case you file off the color when doing your fill prep.

And I love how the light can be placed on top of the feet for pedicures (by removing the reflective bottom plate)....do you have to place the foot on the plate, or not use that for pedicures? And could I just place the light on top of the clients hands, or do we have to use that reflective plate? I think it would help eliminate the client from hitting the rim of the light if I could just set the light down on their hand.

If you are doing pedicures, just remove the lower plate and let the client slide or you guide her foot in. Interesting thought about placing the lamp over the hands, I'm not 100% sure and have asked Elaine about that. My first thought tho is not the lack of the lower reflective plate, the time involved picking up placing the lamp after you have placed your clients hand in just the right spot, is greater than threatening ummm... teaching the client to go into the light properly :) The 4 bulbs in the tunnel configuration are enough to do the job without the base reflective plate.

Lorraine, webgirl

www.ManicuresThatLast.com
eco So Quick Soak Off
Turn your Part-Time Clients into Full-Time Bookings!
3 Minutes On, 5 Minutes Off - Guaranteed