> Not worth it, bandwidth is not a cost here. Each message
> takes up about
> the same amount of space regardless of it's it 25 lines or 600.

On every email client I have used, it is quick to glance at the first
screenful of message, decide whether there is anything of interest and
if not, delete it. If the CIDR report can't fit a summary of the
important points of the week into a 20-25 line email message, then why
post it at all. Also, more and more people are reading email from
smartphones like Nokia E61, Treo and Blackberry. They often get
truncated email messages to scan for important stuff.

If these folks can come up with a good way of creating a summary message
linked to a longer detailed report on a web server, then we can
ENCOURAGE such postings (no more than once per week) for content which
leads to flame wars. The people who get 10 copies from 10 lists will
barely notice it as they keep on pressing the delete key. And when
something interesting pops up, the web page linked in the summary can
display lots of 8 by 10 glossy photographs with the circles and arrows
and a paragraph on each slide.

The overall discussion is about making things better, right? Well every
well-thought out carefully written message on the NANOG list, that comes
complete with URLs to references, makes the list better.

--Michael Dillon