Martin Hannigan wrote:
> Folks, I'm seeking some commentary on the following document that may
> help us to make incremental improvements in the operation of the
> mailing list.
>
>     http://www.fugawi.net/~hannigan/nanog-mlcp1-1.pdf
>
> Please reply here or privately.

Yeah, I object to the additional exposition present in the aup (page 2)

if I lay it (the proposed text) along side the existing text the tenor
of the former does not match the later.

the old is here.

  Acceptable Use Policy

    1. Discussion will focus on Internet operational and technical
issues as described in the charter of NANOG.
    2. Postings of issues inconsistent with the charter are prohibited.
    3. Cross posting is prohibited.
    4. Postings that include foul language, character assassination, and
lack of respect for other participants are prohibited.
    5. Product marketing is prohibited.
    6. Postings of political, philosophical, and legal nature are
prohibited.
    7. Using list as source for private marketing initiatives is prohibited
    8. Autoresponders sending mail either to the list or to the poster
are prohibited.

For some reason my feeble brain is having trouble extracting the text
from the current pdf so that's left as an exercise to the reader...

The proposed text may provide direct instruction to list participants,
but I'm not of the opinion that addional instruction makes the job of
the mlc any easier.

I am struck by the observation of the email attached to the current aup
which says in part:

        The charter of the NANOG list was written to avoid being too
        specific and to not preclude useful network-relevent discussion,
        because sometimes this kind of thing is appropriate, but trying
        to cleanly delineate it is harder than most tasks in the life of
        a network engineer ...

        --jhawk