Hello Christian:

On 10/5/08 3:10 PM, "Christian Koch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been brought up in the past.. (which I am sure it has)
>
> With actual operational content decreasing, and people using the list
> as a paging system
> for email admins and NOC contacts more frequently, why has the AUP not
> been updated to reflect what seems to be a
> "frowned upon" use of the list?
>
> Now, When I was new to NANOG, I myself have made the mistakes of doing
> this, but quickly learned this is not the avenue to go
> for such requests.
>
> There is a plethora of available resources to going about finding such
> contact information, maybe not enough subscribers know about, and it
> needs
> to be addressed further in a FAQ on the NANOG website?
>
> If someone is unsuccessful at reaching contacts at their own peers and
> transit providers, there is a bigger problem, and something as such
> should rather be addressed with the account reps to make the claim
> they are not receiving a desired level of support.
>
> Worthy content was once king on this list when I first started
> reading, and as I browse the archives there are so many great
> discussions, plenty to be learned, and lots of
> great opinions. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore...
>
> With that being said, is that a reasonable thought towards updating
> the AUP, or is not adequate enough?
>
> What were the results of this discussion in the past, if it has been
> brought up before?
>
> and What do we need to do to weed out the junk and promote "worthy"
> content again?

I guess I disagree 'somewhat'.  Not to long ago we had a long thread about
someone trying to configure their modem that was deemed appropriate to the
list.  How can that be more appropriate that trying to get in touch with a
clueful network engineer about some routing anomalies between you and them?

I would rather see a defined way (a form perhaps?) for submitting a request
for assistance to NANOG rather than saying it doesn't fit the charter.  As
others have said, perhaps a little more information could be required,
rather than "could someone somewhere ping me?"

As an example

Request for Contact - AS11274 to ASXYZ
Reason: Routing anomalies between Seattle and Ashburn
Contact Attempts Made:
    - Called NOC, was advised not a direct customer so no assistance will be
given.
    - Used Puck NOC POC and received no reply in 5 business days

Or something like that which provides a little more depth and breadth.

Regards,

Mike